Tuesday, September 6, 2011

I love my handyman!

In case you are new to this blog.........................here at our house, we are engaged in an on-going battle with our air conditioner. This summer has been our most trying yet. It seems that every week something else needs to be repaired. In a perfect world we'd have just broken down and bought a new a./c. But, since my life is far from perfect & I am a stay at home mom with 3 kids and a husband to feed, we do what has to be done to make the old girl keep running. This weeks a/c fiasco started at the end of last week. Kirk and I were awakened to a terrible, loud sound coming from outside. We ran outside only to realize, yet again.........that it was our a/c making that noise. Since we live in the city, it wouldn't be fair to subject our neighbors to that horrible, loud, screeching sound. So, we turned it off and decided it could wait until morning. Bright and early Friday morning, Kirk disassembled the old girl and found the new problem. The fan blade itself needed to be replaced because in the center of the blade, the piece that holds it on to the shaft of the motor had literally disintegrated. Kirk looked up replacement blades, but I could tell that it all came back to his famous phrase of, "if it's made of metal, I can fix it". I could see his mind working this over, but he didn't share his idea with me until two days later. After suffering for days with no a/c, I finally agreed that since it was already broken, it wouldn't hurt to try and make the missing piece out of metal and then weld it to the blade. So, off he went to weld as happy as if I'd just told him I'd bought him a new truck. Nothing, absolutely nothing makes him happier than welding.
Look how happy he is holding the welding gun...................


Here he is welding the fabricated piece onto the blade...................

I don't know how many times I asked him, "do you think it will work?".



And finally........................the moment of truth. Was he really able to fabricate the missing piece out of metal and then weld it on????? Yep, that's exactly what he did! And it worked! The balance isn't quite right, but that seems to be his only complaint with his work. As for me, the fan is running, the a/c is working and I am one happy girl! Life is good.....................and nice and cool once again and it didn't cost us one penny!

2 comments:

  1. SOOOOOOO glad it worked!!! Isn't it nice to be married to a 'can do' kinda person :)
    love y'all!!! Auntie M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirk looks like a super hero with his welding gun! Guess he is!

    ReplyDelete