Friday, September 30, 2011

My kryptonite...............

I would categorize myself as a pretty tough chick. I handle physical pain very well. Emotional on the other hand...........well, that's a different story entirely. Anyway, I'm getting off track here. Maybe tough isn't the word I'm looking for here...............maybe it's lucky. I don't have seasonal allergies, asthma, depression, migraines, etc. I do however, produce kidney stones at a rapidly alarming rate! I have passed more stones than years I've been alive. But that, however is not what this is about. Besides kidney stones(which seems to be my only painful flaw) I am allergic to only one thing. It is not life threatening, but it has plagued me my entire life. It took years to figure out exactly what it was. It is my kryptonite. It hides in numerous foods that I unknowingly consume and now it appears that I am also susceptible if I touch it. Being such a shy girl in school, I can remember being mortified when someone would point out to me that my face was covered in splotches. But more often than not, I would be asked if someone had slapped me. Me? I hardly spoke a word in school to anyone. Why would anyone slap me? Anyway, my kryptonite just so happens to be red #40. This is in Cherry icees, orange flavored popsicles, liquid medicines, the list goes on and on. Well, I normally avoid these things at all costs, but last night I wasn't feeling well. Everyone here at my house has had a little bit of a sore throat this week, so I took some liquid cough medicine ran the bath and collapsed into the hot water. As soon as I opened my eyes I realized something was missing. I'd forgotten to add a scented bubble bath to the water. Feeling quite lazy and not wanting to move much at all............and instead of taking the two seconds it takes to stand up & reach into the cabinet for my bubble bath, I layed back and reached for Mag's blackberry scented shampoo and added a little of that to the running water. After my bath I felt much better. But, within the hour I'd started itching. Dry skin, I decided. So I added one more coat of lotion. Long story short, I woke up in the night covered from head to toe with hives. I'd not only ingested red #40 in my cough syrup, but soaked in it as well. Now that the kids are off to school and the house is quiet and no questions need to be answered.................I finally allowed myself to take a Benadryl and another bath(this time blackberry scent-free). So, if you ever want to embarrass me or just make fun of me................throw a little red #40 on me and sit back and enjoy the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment