Thursday, September 29, 2011

Out of the mouth of a seven year old...............

My little Maggie never fails to amaze me. She is known for wanting to try things much earlier than the normal child. She feels there is nothing she can't do and this pleases me to no end. By the time she could walk, she could swim. And by the time she entered pre-k she was already head over heels in love with a boy. At first this was cute, but I now have to remind her on a daily basis that kissing boys is not acceptable for a 7 year old girl. Her latest obsession that she must defeat is shaving her legs. My 7 year old, 2nd grader is now insisting on shaving her legs. She cried about wearing shorts this morning because boys wouldn't like her hairy legs. I tried to assure her that boys are certainly NOT looking at her legs. But, that was apparently beside the point. "They might!", she said "and then what will they think? They'll think I'm a boy!!!", she accused. I told her that no one would ever mistake her for a boy, but what do I know? In her eyes I'm just a mom who was never a little girl and who couldn't possibly understand any of this. She was so upset that I almost considered allowing her to shave her legs. Crazy? Yea, I know. It passed pretty quick..........don't worry. My final answer was that she could shave her legs in the 5th grade. You should have seen the shocked look on her face. And then something happened and I could literally see the wheels turning in her mind. And here it comes, I thought. "Well, Ryley's in 5th grade and you don't let him shave.", she said. Really? This was how she was going to win me over? So I said, "Ryley will never shave his legs, no matter how old he gets.". "His face, MOM!", she barked back at me. "I hate to disappoint you honey, but Ryley is no where near needing to shave his face. He has to wait even longer than you do to start shaving.", I said. This was not working out for her. Would she quietly accept defeat? Absolutely! Defeated? Beaten? Not in her eyes. You see, right there in that last statement was all that mattered. She was going to beat Ryley. Life's just a big competition to my little Mag. And I know she will always come out on top. She would make a hell of a lawyer. Even at seven she can usually bring up valid points and work angles I'd never think of. So, today's battle is finished.......................but only until I pick them up from school which will most certainly involve another!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment